facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Cooking Our First Turkey! Thumbnail

Cooking Our First Turkey!

Our First Turkey!

As promised, we will not post about financial topics every time, so I wanted to share our first turkey experience.

For Thanksgiving this year we hosted our families in Philadelphia. The crew included my mom, mother-in-law, father-in-law, father-in-law’s finance, sister-in-law, two brother-in-laws and my nephew.  You don’t realize you’re an only child until every person is followed by “in-law.”  We also had three dogs running around our home.

5:00 am- Alarm goes off. I walk downstairs to make sure the turkey is thawed and ready for action. Turkey is still hard as a rock, wonderful! Supposedly it needed 4 days to thaw, not 2.5 days. Reasonable error on my first ever turkey. Google: “How to thaw a turkey fast.” Keep it in cold water and change the water every 30 minutes, great! Glad I went out last night and get to wake up every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours to replace my turkey’s bath water.

5:30 am to 7:00 am- Alarm goes off every 30 minutes as trusted. Brother-in-law hates me at this point since he is sleeping on the couch right beside the kitchen. Luckily, he fell asleep while listening to techno music on the TV, now the turkey and I can listen to Avicii. Believe it or not, it was fully thawed after this process. Removing “giblets” was a life-changing experience, but my mother-in-law needed them for the gravy so out they go!

Chad Chubb prepping his first turkey.

7:30 am- Game time! Like every married couple, we love the food network, especially Barefoot Contessa. That is where we got our turkey recipe. However, we did make a few substitutions, substituted truffle butter for Kerrygold butter. We also used a turkey seasoning paste from Williams-Sonoma, which was excellent, instead of the recipe’s called for seasonings.

Link for the recipe: Food Network Turkey!

8:00 am- Turkey is prepped and relaxing for an hour with its delicious rub.

9:10 am- Into the neighbor’s oven, that’s right, the neighbor’s oven. We are blessed to have awesome neighbors who allowed us to use their oven while they were out of town. Thanksgiving would not have been possible without them!  I checked on the turkey every hour for the next 4 hours, never basting the turkey to allow the skin to get crispy. After 2 hours (11:10 am), I did put foil over the turkey to make sure the skin would not burn.

12:45 pm- Turkey hits 162 degrees, which was my checkpoint. Took it out of the oven and allowed it to rest for 30 mins.

1:15 pm- Carved the turkey, poured the pan drippings over the top and served.  Our first turkey was a SUCCESS! 

Chad Chubb and Mari Chubb after a successful Thanksgiving.

Smooth Sailing!